Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Snails to You

There are some things that are better and cheaper homemade, and some things that are not. Like clothing, generally, is cheaper for me just to buy, because me + fabric store = dangerous. Crib bedding, way cheaper and better to make than buy.

Play doh is cheaper, and way better, homemade.

Photobucket Photobucket

Play Doh

1 cups flour
1/4 cup salt
1/2 tablespoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon cooking oil
1 cup water
food coloring (preferably paste)
a few drops extract (almond, lemon, peppermint, optional)

Place all ingredients in a saucepan and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, while stirring. Remove from heat and let cool a little, then knead by hand until totally smooth and cool. The dough will be pretty sticky at first, but when you knead it for a while, it gets unsticky. Store in zip loc bag in the refrigerator.

Tonight's variety...almond scented purple play doh, which was perfect for Sophia's mommy and baby snails.

Photobucket


To which she sang "happy snails to you, until we meet again!" (she really did - she's funny like that)

I've had friends ask me how I manage to cook dinner every night and work. My answer is that I have a husband who doesn't like to go out and doesn't like most take out or delivery food, I have lots of recipes that take 30 minutes or less to cook, and I find a way to entertain my kids in the kitchen while I cook. Often they pull up a chair and help me cook, but when I make something like Caesar salad for dinner, they make play doh :)

1 comment:

Summer said...

What a great idea!!! I loved Playdough!!!

And, that is just too funny that Sophia sang her little version of that song..haha....

Have a great day!

-Summer

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...