Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Texas Caesar Salad

I'm making this for dinner tonight along with some grilled chicken - in honor of the fact that it's GORGEOUS outside!

This is one of my favorite recipes to bring to a pot luck - I double it, and it's usually one of the first things to go. People always rave about it and ask for the recipe, and when I give it to them they are shocked about the anchovies.

Texas Caesar Salad

2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped shallots
2 anchovy fillets
2 garlic cloves
1 jalapeño chili, seeded, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup olive oil

8 cups bite-size pieces romaine lettuce (from 2 heads)
3 cups purchased salad croutons
1 large red bell pepper, diced
2 ears sweet white corn, kernels removed (or I've used canned white corn)
1 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained, patted dry, thinly sliced
Additional freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Purée first 9 ingredients in processor until smooth. Gradually add olive oil and process until blended. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) Combine romaine lettuce and next 4 ingredients in large bowl. Toss with enough dressing to coat. Garnish with additional grated Parmesan.

I guess I should have posted this AFTER dinner, with pictures ;)

3 comments:

Heather said...

This sounds so delicious!! I am loving Ceasar salad right now, this twist on it sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever tried it without the anchovies?

vera said...

Nope, I've never made it without the anchovies - they make it a real caesar in my mind and even people who "hate" anchovies liked the salad before they knew the ingredients. BUT if you try it, let me know! I wonder if capers or something could be substituted...you would need something salty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...