I made this recipe, for the first time in quite some time (aaw, look how tiny Porter is in that post!). Whenever I make this, I wonder why I don't make it more often... it's usually because I can't get fresh looking bean sprouts that often. But it's super delish, and my whole family loves it.
As with most stir fry recipes, there's lots of prep, and not much cooking time. So, here's how I do it... I cook the rice, and while it's cooking, I chop the carrots up into tiny matchsticks. This takes forever, and I'm pretty sure there's an expensive kitchen gadget that would solve all my carrot slicing troubles. And while I'm doing that, I have Sophia pulling the stringy ends off the bean sprouts. When the rice is finished cooking, I spread it out on a large platter and let it cool a little at room temperature, then I put it in the refrigerator while I finish prepping. When stir-frying, it's important to have all of your ingredients ready to go and sitting right there - so go ahead and pretend you're on a cooking show and have everything lined up in little bowls.
The end result is so worth it, and I still got it on the table in about 45 minutes (I'm almost positive prior to having kids this recipe only took me about 25 minutes to make).
2 comments:
Oh my goodness, Porter is adorable!!
That recipe sounds wonderful, do you think it can be made without the fish oil? I am a vegetarian so clearly that wouldn't work, but if you could think of a way I could make it vegetarian that would be fantastic.
I don't really cook, but this sounds yummy and something worth me trying.
Hmm, I wouldn't leave it out, because it adds a lot of the flavor (it is a staple in Thai and Vietnamese dishes). If you Google "Asian fish sauce substitute vegetarian" there are some options out there, but I haven't tried them. If you try one out, let me know how it turns out!
Post a Comment