Sunday, July 19, 2009

It's Days Like Today

That make me never want to move... it's sunny and in the 70's with a nice breeze (in July? In Arkansas?!) and I'm not saying "I can't stay here one more summer!" like I usually do this time of year.

And then there's this neighborhood. I've said it before, our house is small. Our house is old. Our wood floors desperately need to be refinished, we have no closet space, we have no playroom or really any other "extra" rooms like most new houses, we have more petty crime than out in the new suburbs. But days like today remind me why I love this neighborhood, and why I just can't see us as suburbaners...

The girls and I took a two hour walk around the neighborhood today. We met lots of people out working in their yards or taking a walk. And we found lots of treasures

Photobucket

like a bird's nest

Photobucket

and pine cones

and spiderwebs filled with dew drops, and earthworms, and mushrooms, and patches of fuzzy soft moss.

And at the end of our walk, when we were almost back at our house, we stopped at a new corner (literally) grocery store and deli. This place has been open for a few months, and I'm sorry I haven't been there until now - it is awesome!

Photobucket

All of the baked goods and dairy and produce are local, and many of the other products are too (like their fabulous bulk granola).

Photobucket

We ate lunch there - we were hungry after all that walking!

Photobucket

The girls split the best grilled cheese sandwich, made with local cheese and local, crusty, multigrain bread, and fruit salad that tasted just like my mom's - yum!

Photobucket

Aside from the convenience of being able to literally run down the street to grab a gallon of milk - or even the girls' bath wash, which they carry! - I love that we have another yummy place to eat within walking distance.

We can walk to the grocery store (it's a bit of a haul, but I've done it plenty of times even with the girls in tow) and a bunch of great restaurants. If we had to get in our car and drive, we might miss out on all the birds' nests and mossy patches along the way!

Photobucket

P.S.
I meant to say... if you're in Little Rock, please check out the Station Grocery and Deli on the corner of Markham and Kavanaugh (where the old Wallpaper store used to be... obviously). They even have BABY FOOD on their menu, a changing table in the bathroom, and the very cool Ikea high chairs that I've been eyeing. I can't wait to return NEXT summer to test out all of their baby accommodations :)

4 comments:

Mrs. Valente said...

Oh Good Grief! When my blogroll crashed I lost touch with so many people, I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW YOU WERE PREGNANT!! Congrats Mama! I'm so happy for you!

Oh, and you're back on the blogroll now so I'll be better about keeping in touch.

Lena said...

Beautiful girls... look just like their mommy! I love taking walks with my girls too, seeing the flowers that grow, the pretty trees, you are right, we miss so much by driving. :)

Sarah said...

I love living in town...for the same reasons you mentioned...the corner grocery, bakery, library, all the sidewalks that lead somewhere...the cute houses, not cookie cutter...I could go on and on. Hope you are feeling good!

Mike said...

Looks like a great place for a vacation.


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com
Twitter: AboutParenting
Photo ideas? 100 Portrait Ideas

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...