Saturday, September 10, 2011

Ballet and Soccer

My apologies, my computer cord has not been working, and I've been sick as a dog for over a week. Thankfully I'm on the mend now (thanks, unfortunately, to handfuls of drugs).

But we've been busy!

Amelia started dance last week, and oh my gosh, she loves it so much! She does shows for us all the time, and asks just about every day how many more days until Monday. I think waiting until kids are really eager to participate in something before enrolling them is the way to go. I signed Sophia up for gymnastics and dance when she was 3 and 4 years old, just because everyone else was doing it (honestly), and I regret it - I mean, she had fun, but I can really see a difference in their joy and dedication when they start something after longing for and looking forward to it. I'm seeing the same thing with Sophia and violin and soccer - both things she has been wanting to do for about a year.

Anyway, here is Amelia on her first day of dance

Photobucket

Photobucket

Once lessons started, we had to watch through mini blinds and it was really hard to get a good shot - I felt like a private eye, taking pictures between the slats of the blinds. Aren't they adorable?!

Photobucket

Amelia really took it seriously and tried so hard. I'm so proud of her!

And Sophia started soccer the week before - Davis was a long-time soccer player and is really enjoying this time with Sophia, so he has been taking her to practice. But we all went to her first game Saturday morning. It was SO fun, and a gorgeous day too!

Warming up

Photobucket

Henry loved getting in the middle of the girls before the game - Davis finally ended up taking him to an unused part of the field for a little one on one soccer.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I was really impressed with these girls - they have only had two practices and this is their first game, and they all did great! Every girl on both teams did a great job.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It was really fun to watch!

Photobucket

Photobucket

I love this shot - they all played hard and tried their best!

Photobucket

Sophia was totally exhausted. Love it.

Photobucket

After the game, the parents (minus the really pregnant lazy ones with cameras, who stayed in their lawn chair) made a tunnel for the kids to run through after the teams congratulated each other.

Photobucket

I really, really like Sophia's coach. He is not only teaching them great soccer skills, but also good sportsmanship (he always congratulated the girls who scored goals - on both sides!) and he is just really positive and encouraging.

Photobucket

I am so happy that the girls have found activities that truly bring them joy, and that they are motivated to try really hard in. Whatever they undertake, it's important to me that they do their best - aside from my dedication not to over-commit our family, I also am going to expect them to try their best, which I think is easier when they are not doing a million different things.

And Henry - what kind of activities has he been up to? Well... chasing the cat

Photobucket

and he's discovered the girls' passion of swinging from trees

Photobucket

Photobucket

I swear, I gave birth to monkeys. I went to Sam's last weekend and bought SIX POUNDS of bananas - they were gone in less than three days!

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

To be honest I could easily eat a pound of bananas in a week, and who doesn't love swinging from a tree....what does that say about me? ha! ha! ha!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...