The kids and I headed to California yesterday morning, and it pretty much went smoothly. I had to fight a little, but they gave Davis a gate pass so that he could help me with security - it was a HUGE help! I think Henry is at the hardest age for traveling right now
at 14 months, they are too little to be entertained by books and movies and and coloring (and they don't listen!), but they are active and want to run around and play rather than just snuggling in your lap (which is how Henry was when we came here in October).
But really, the kids were amazing on the trip! In Dallas we sat on the tarmac for an hour, and Henry screamed the whole time, but as soon as we took off, he fell asleep and was angel the rest of the time. It was a huge blessing, because my sinuses started hurting as soon as we got in the air, and for three hours straight I was in agonizing pain. I looked so pitiful, the lovely flight attendant kept bringing me things like hot cloths to try to help, but nothing worked. The girls just colored and watched movies and were perfect, Henry slept on me, and I just sat there with my eyes closed and prayed for the time to pass. Eventually we descended and I was instantly pain free again. I vowed never to take painfree moments for granted again, and I really have been thankful ever since that I am not often in that kind of pain.
My mom was also able to get a gate pass, and she picked us up. We headed to my brother's house for pizza and - the most important part of the whole trip! - to see this little guy
My new nephew BabyNate, who is delicious. He is still that snuggly, happy to just sit in your lap age, and I could hold him forever! The kids were extremely happy to be able to run around the yard like wild maniacs, and as soon as we got home to my mom's house, they had a bath and CRASHED.
Look who's walking - he has been walking a LOT!
They went to bed late last night - it was 8:30 California time, which is 10:30 our time. I was sure they would sleep long, since their normal bedtime is 7:00. Nope. Henry was up at 3:30 a.m. and the girls were up at 4:00 a.m. - EXACTLY when they would have woken up if we were in Arkansas (5:30 and 6:00). They were WIDE awake too, and there was no way they were going back to sleep. I had stayed up late talking to my mom, and I really thought I might just die from exhaustion, but we survived - we played quietly downstairs until 7:00, when I let them go up and have breakfast, and my mom came down. They had a great time, coloring on the easel Mom got them and running around. But then Amelia fell down and bonked her head (a sure sign that she's tired) and after an hour of complaining about a headache, she threw up. I was so worried about her, even though it really didn't seem like a big hit to her head. I made her sit and watch a movie instead of joining Sophia and my mom in the hot tub.
Thankfully she was okay after a little rest. Then we got dressed and headed into town. My mom took the girls shopping, while I hung out with baby Nate, my sister in law, and Henry. It was so sweet - Henry kept bringing toys and blankets to the baby, and really other than trying to poke him in the eyes, he was very sweet. I should have gotten more pictures! I was too busy enjoying time with two sweet boys and my sister-in-law, who is totally the sister I would have picked for myself!
Then we went out to lunch - sushi! - and then grabbed cookies and coffee and went to the beach. Sophia has been talking about the beach for MONTHS. They had the best time!
Woah! Walking on sand is a little different!!
If we turned away for a second, Henry would try to crawl straight into the ocean!
He was SO sandy when we got back!
Then after a bath and naps back at the house, the kids got out some of my and my brother's old toys
I need to take a picture of Henry with my brother's giant stash of matchbox cars - he was in heaven when he discovered them and has been carrying them around ever since!
Right now he is still awake, the little stinker - it's after 9 o'clock and he is SO tired
But if I try to put him to bed in the Pack N Play, he screams and screams, and if I put him in my bed he does this
He knows he's too cute to ever get in trouble with his mama!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Awww... so cute!! Everything about this is adorable! I miss the beach like crazy also. And my SIL is totally the sister I would want to have also! :)
Wow...what an adventure! You are brave to fly with the kids alone. I didn't know there was such a thing as a gate pass so that people could help out! (Good to know)
I love the beach. I grew up in southern California. (Santa Ana....Orange County area)
Loved the pictures of the girls enjoying themselves running around in the water...so cute. And Henry was gonna just crawl straight into it if you hadn't caught him! Ha!
I have flown with sinus issues before...and I thought I would die from the pain. So I feel sorry for ya. I hope it is better on the flight home.
Enjoy time with mom and family.
Happy Easter!
Linda @ Truthful Tidbits
He is just a little stinker--I love those pics from the Pack and Play to your bed. Stick pot!
It sounds like things are going wonderfully in Cali--have a blast! You deserve it.
Post a Comment